Monday, June 6, 2011

Carolina Rebellion, May 7, 2011 @ Metrolina Expo in Charlotte, NC

When I first heard about Carolina Rebellion, I was super excited because on the same bill were a few bands I often see separately. This music fest of rock had 30,000+ attendees, mainly from the South and it automatically sounded like a fun and unique experience. I convinced my friend Andres, a huge concert devotee as well, to get tickets and go on a roadtrip adventure down to the show.
The 10 hours it takes to drive there is quite scenic (I've never driven south of Virginia) and as you pass each state line, the people become even friendlier. One thing I love about music festivals is that even if you don't like every single band performing, it is the best people watching experience. To see unfamiliar folk letting their hair down is quite amusing, to say the least. Charlotte is a super cute, clean, quiet city with the friendliest and most polite people I've met to date. 

Places I HIGHLY recommend to visit:
1. Smelly Cat coffeehouse (I was sucked in as soon as I ordered an iced soy latte and the ice was crushed for me...super yummy snacks too)
2. Buffalo Exchange (super cute vintage/consignment with reasonable prices)
3. Aloft hotel's WXYZ lounge...super chic, quirky and modern decor with reasonable drink prices. There's a patio to sit outside and the indoor area is adjacent to a movie theatre! Genius!


Here's my adventure in pictures...ENJOY:





































1. Scenic view of beautiful America.
2. 311 on the West Virginia sign...hell yeah!
3. More of the gorge USA
4. The entrance to mayhem :)
5. My friend Andres and I in the crowd.
6. A fan showing his Carolina Rebellion patriotism through hair ties.
7. This super fan shouted "Osama dead, we got 'im!" Super happy dude :)
8. My outfit for the show...rocked a very old shirt from Urban Outfitters, Forever 21 shorts, Lips sunglasses from Five Below for $5, Steve Madden studded bag, Betsey Johnson black studded belt, Lucky Brand leopard belt, my decrepit Michael Kors biker boots (which you cannot see in the pic).
9. I needed two belts to protect me from these hooligans...just kidding, I couldn't decide which so I wore both!
10. Rednecks with red necks.
11. Awesome hairdo from a fan. LOVE it!
12. Skillet performing...they always have an amazing stage presence and I adore their incorporation of string instruments.
13. Bullet for My Valentine...these guys are LOUD! :)
14 & 15. 30,000 + people
16. Seether! Always loved their live shows, they NEVER disappoint!
17. Stone Sour - not bad, not great
18. Godsmack - Sully's one of my all-time favorite vocalists and I wish their sound guy was better for this show. They usually sound AMAZING.
19. Avenged Sevenfold is insanely great on stage, always high energy! I was SO glad they were the headliner for this show. I'm still obsessed with their universally relatable song "Almost Easy," though "Nightmare" is fun too.
20. Rock and roll lesbian! Awesome! :) And dude, everyone knows you're a lesbian haha.
21. Our departure from the festival which produced a semi-creepy pic. Love it!
22. Smelly Cat Coffeehouse...delicious and highly recommended. It's quaint, cute, and puts any Starbucks to shame.
23. I'm rocking a Forever 21 jumper and Minnetonka moccasin booties in downtown Charlotte. 
24. Drinking my current fave drink, Calimocho (red wine + diet coke), at the XYZ lounge.
25. I want this skull in my yard, asap. I obsess over mosaic tiling and this is by far the best thing I've ever seen. The interior, which you can walk in, is all done the same way. Skulls + mosaic tiling = I'm VERY happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment